Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Learning about Multifocal implants

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na!  That's the sound of the bionic man using his 6million dollar eye.  Remember that one?  Apparently we aren't that far from it.  The latest in eye surgery is eliminating the need for bifocals and/or reading glasses.

My mother-in-law is an opthalmologist, and recently while helping with her web site she described the latest surgery that she does implanting multifocal or intraocular lenses in cataract patients.  This is amazing to me.  I figure that things will be even better by the time I need them. 

This is actually cool in another way.  How I went from not knowing, to knowing quite a lot in a matter of minutes thanks to my network, Google, and wikipedia.  I got to thinking how this pattern has become so familiar over the past few years.  You hear somthing interesting at dinner party, or chatting with family and friends, you "Google it" later, and check out the wikipedia for safe measure.  That, in and of itself, gets me light years ahead of the ol' library days of my youth.  And in very short order I'm connected to a network of contacts, and information:  I'm an engaged, informed consumer.

Learn more at WebMD.  Or if you are ever in Phoenix, AZ I can get you connected with the best surgeon in town.  (shameless plug for my wonderfully talented mother-in-law)

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na  I love making that annoying little sound.

No comments: