Thursday, November 02, 2006

School still sucks!

I haven't been blogging much because of a big project I'm trying to get out the door.  But I had to pass this along...
The dining room has turned into a DVD production line and my daughter (9) was learning the process and helping me out.  I inquired why she was consistently doing so poorly in social studies (Bs, but she can do better ;-)  Her answer was that it was boring.  I was a bit confused because traditionaly math was boring because it didn't apply or have context and meaning in her life, but social studies?  Why social studies?  She gave a few examples and my response was, "honey, at least that's all real stuff that's happening in the world around us."  Her answer was classic and is why I devote my life to doing what I do...

"But Dad, It's SOOO boring to look at pictures and reads words next to the pictures in a book about this stuff.  Why can't we GO there, and SEE it"

So, that's exactly what we are going to do.  Not sure what the next topic is, but whatever it is we're going there and checking it out...even its a virtual "check out".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking at your pic... was happened to your hair?!?

bschlenker said...

My new cut has become the "#2 on top, with a #1 on the sides blended in". That's all you have to say. Its low maintenance and great for the warm Arizona Sun...although darn cold in the winter ;-)