Wednesday, September 26, 2007

SCORM Compiant WIKI - Xerceo

Xerceo is a new WIKI that just hit my inbox. So, I've had no time to use it and therefore this is NOT a review.
Its the concept that interests me. I've been thinking about this type of editable "course" ever since my first introduction to wikis. However, its been a tough nut to crack. I am happy to see that someone has taken the first shot at a commercial product to do this. But I'm sure this is something we will begin to see in the open source products soon as well. The Learning Object proponents have been trying this for years and I haven't really seen it work effectively. I'm guessing each wiki page is like a learning object that is tagged. If you select a tag then you get all of the content organized around that tag, and then you can export it in a SCORM compliant wrapper to report out to the LMS. ???
I don't know. It smells a lot like trying to put the round peg in the old square hole. Is informal/collaborative learning really going to be formalized in systems in useful way? I don't know.
Like I said, I have seen it and my hope is that I will be pleasantly surprised by their solution. For now I'm keeping my hopes low so that I can get excited about it once I actually use it.
If you are an early adopter then check it out and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you meant to say "compliant". The "l" is missing.