Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Viking Training - Objective 1 - DON'T DIE

I love movies, but I don't see them as much as I would like too.  I took my kids to see "How to Train Your Dragon" over the weekend.  It was great fun!  Great animation! Great story! And of course, something I can blog about.

Did anyone else stop and think about the beautiful simplicity of the viking training program? I did.  Sure they had a manual on everything known about the different types of dragons.  But if I remember correctly the viking trainer didn't babble on about reading, and practicing skills before the DOING began.  No, if memory serves Objective 1 of Viking training is "DON'T DIE!".  Simple. Elegant. I like that.

Only AFTER the trainees had experienced the true reality and the CONTEXT of their challenge did the trainer introduce the book filled with all the dragon information.

Did anyone think about learning styles? I did...well...okay not until just now ;-)
Now I need to see the movie again and get all this right.  But anyways, the different characters excelled differently through the training.  The "nerdy" viking knew every last detail about every dragon.  He was what we might call "book smart".

Actually, now that I think about it.  The characters were more like high school stereotypes, but there must a learning style connection in there some where, right?  Can anyone help me out here?  Have you seen the movie?  Now you have a reason too.  Tell me what you think.

mLearnCon - Mobile Learning Conference and Expo- June - San Diego, CA
DevLearn 2010 Conference and Expo - November - San Francisco, CA

No comments: