Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Waterfall model - ADDIE - "is risky and invites failure"

The 37signals blog Signal vs. Noise pointed me to the Wikipedia entry for the Waterfall model of software development.  Sure sounds a lot like the ADDIE model to me.  I wonder if there is any connection.  Well...no matter...they are not relevant any more. 

The iterative approach to software development, with short turnaround cycles, is proving more powerful in small startups like 37signals and challenging the big software players.  Microsoft is having trouble supporting the long tail.  37signals is filling the gaps in web based productivity software for folks who just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on MS bloatware.  And those of us who have access to the MS suite but choose a more user-friendly, well designed web product.

So where are the little guys supporting the long tail in eLearning?  Where's the little LMS challenging the bloated million dollar LMS products?  Nuvvo perhaps?  Moodle?  Any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nuvvo employee here (immediate disclosure).

I think part of the significance of what's happening in the software industry is that licensed software is on the way out, and subscription software is on the way in. We've talked to the big software players out there (whom I won't mention) and they're scared because the traditional software model is not sustainable in the long term.

We are definitely part of the new model and we are pursuing the long tail. At the end of the day that means we aren't challenging the big vendors (would a 60K student college really buy Nuvvo?), and that's what we want. Working with the "little guys" is way more fun (I've served both sides during my career).

Just my two cents' worth!

bschlenker said...

Great comments! Thanks guys.
I've never heard of the Rapid Intake LMS. But then again there are probably many, many players that I am unaware of at this point.
I'm looking forward to putting some of my wife's learning material on NUVVO. Its on the long list of weekend projects.