Sunday, August 06, 2006

More voices on the future of training

Jim Belshaw posted a comment on the Learning Circuits blog today.  He was responding to the ongoing conversation around the end of courseware and the growth of informal learning.  He has a long,  but very well stated post on the topic.  Its nice to hear from others outside of the learning profession and I really appreciate Jim adding to the conversation. 
It's also another great example of how wonderful the new web is...Jim is in Australia. 
I sometimes just laugh at how cool it is that one day I get an email from a Harvard professor via the bloggosphere and the next I discover an Australian consultant interested in joining a conversation about something I'm interested in and have been blogging about.

1 comment:

Jim Belshaw said...

Thanks for the nice comment, Brent. It's probably not true to say that I am outside the learning profession, certainly I came from outside, but I have been involved with training in one way or another for some years. But I do try to come at it from a different perspective.

Your point about the new web is well taken. One nice thing is the way it encourages a broader conversation across countries and disciplines. Because of this, I find it invaluable, and this links to the informal learning debate,as a way of keeping in touch, of learning new things.

It is also an interesting way of at least identifying the sometimes subtle differences in language and underlying approach even between countries that appear similar. But that's another story!