Monday, January 07, 2008

Have you caught the eLearning Bug? The Mobile Device that is!

Bug Labs has finally released their long-awaited DIY consumer mobile device.

Bug Labs

From the products page:
"BUG is a collection of easy-to-use electronic modules that snap together to build any gadget you can imagine. Each BUGmodule represents a specific gadget function (ex: a camera, a keyboard, a video output, etc). You decide which functions to include and BUG takes care of the rest letting you try out different combinations quickly and easily. With BUG and the integrated programming environment/web community (BUGnet), anyone can build, program and share innovative devices and applications. We don't define the final products - you do."


This should be loads of fun! OpenSource software paired with OpenSource hardware. Wow! This is going to be LOTS of fun.

Looks like they have a touch screen module already and more are planned for Q2 release.

Bug Labs: Products

I want to know what the Teleporter is going to do. Seriously!

The Early Adopter Price is $299 for the BUGbase which is the foundation for the device. Each additional module looks to be under $100. So to create your own GPS enabled Digital camera you're going to be set back over $400 when all is done. Of course that's if its truly user-friendly and you can get yours to work.

Let's just say that it's no-brainer-easy to put together, code, and use. What do you do with it? What does it allow you to do that other devices cannot already do? Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of this thing...really. So, for me, I'm itchin' to get my hands on this thing.

I sported for the MakingThings module a few years ago after seeing its connectivity with Adobe FLASH. That was loads of fun, but I'm not that good at soldering wires. I should check back with them and see if I can get my little project working again...but this time on my Mac. But I digress...

Can we use the BUG to create a Mobile learning device specific to the Corporate training/elearning world?

No comments: