Thursday, April 24, 2008

Request for Training via Blackberry - Anyone, anyone...

I think this is an interesting request and worth putting out into the wild:

"I am looking for the ability to send an email to all our Attorneys via BlackBerry (1000+) that contains a link. Upon clicking the link a multimedia file will either download and play or stream (with buffer). The multimedia file can be actual video or a PowerPoint-type stack that contains audio and automatic slide changes or similar functionality. I understand the BB does not have a Flash driver, yet, but that might be optimal, if it is in the works.

The critical factor is that our Attorneys do not have to open up a separate application on the BB and drill down to play a file and that the file includes audio and visual information (slides or video). Currently I have tested Chalk and Sona Media Player. Both play video, but I did not see the ability to launch it via an email link. Also, I took a look at Impatica's technical specifications and they were conspicuously silent regarding audio.

I am told that the BB 9000's will play PowerPoint, but have not had a chance to get my hands on one to see if that includes audio. Cost is also a factor, so attrition of old units for new ones is more viable than purchasing a whole integrated system (e.g., new BES server software, or license per user pricing), especially if newer units will include this basic functionality.

Of course, this functionality can be accomplished on a mobile phone. Nevertheless, all our Attorneys carry BlackBerries. Thanks for your help with this. I don't mind answering questions, having this request posted somewhere for discussion, or beta testing (non-disclosure OK, agreement for purchase NOT) device software (not BES software). The vendor who can rise to the challenge will conquer the Attorney Training market"

An eLearning Guild member sent me this via email and said the Guild community forums would be a good place to post the question.  So its over there as well.  I'm also curious if anything exists or if anyone has done training via blackberry.  Please leave a comment or contact me directly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greg Maciolek with IMR does!

http://www.imrtn.com/default.asp

--Richard K