Monday, August 23, 2010

5 Years of Blogging about Corporate eLearning - Thanks for the memories!

Blogger was born on this day (8/23) 1999.  Six years later to the day I started the Corporate eLearning Strategies and Development blog - http://elearndev.blogspot.com.  It was not planned that way.  It just happened.  So now its been 5 years since I started blogging.  Things sure have changed, but as I reflect, much has stayed the same.

The following links are the only "anniversary" related posts I could find.  But it was fun to reflect back on what was important to me five years ago.  I started blogging 1 year before I left Intel...coincidence?

August 23, 2005 - The Welcome Post
http://elearndev.blogspot.com/2005/08/welcome.html

August 23, 2006 - First Anniversary

July 7, 2008 - Running the Summer Seminar Series during the 2008 Anniversary

Questions I'm considering

  1. Is blogging still an important part of your learning, or collaboration? 
  2. Are you spending more time on twitter, or Facebook these days? 
  3. Does your LinkedIn account supplement or replace your blogging activities?

I think my blogging has slowed quite a bit over this last year and so at this anniversary I'm finding it a good idea to re-imagine the blog.  Maybe I want to just shut it down?  Should I try to monetize it? Do I get more guest writers? I've always been more excited about a relaxed, less structured approach to self publishing, but it just feels like its time to either shut it down, or kick it up a notch.  

What do you think?


Boost your eLearning career! DevLearn 2010 Conference and Expo - November - San Francisco, CA

3 comments:

Jim Belshaw said...

This is a difficult one, Brent. I have been going through the same thought process linked to too little time. I have also been conscious of decline in what I think of as the sense of community. I want to continue blogging, but also want to make it more relevant. To my mind, the other social media sites are not especially relevant to the reasons why I blog.

vtlau said...

Brent, I think Blogging is still the best way to give personal thoughts and opinion...it is closer to a book or article. Other means are just too interactive sometimes to explain thoroughly.

Distance learning said...

Blogging could be the best way on expressing one's thought. I think blogging is going to be there for the years to come for us to learn on each others experiences.