Tuesday, August 21, 2007

70:20:10 Rule - Works for me

UPDATE: I originally published this post August 2007. Today I received an invitation from Charles Jennings to join his 70 20 10 Forum.  I would encourage you to check it out and join in the conversation.

A good friend and colleague from Intel reminded me of the 70:20:10 rule.

Okay...wait a minute. Maybe this actually was the first time I was hearing of this. I feel so out of it.

A quick Google search on it turns up this article about Charles Jennings, Global Head of Learning for Reuters.
He calls this the 70:20:10 rule. "About 70 per cent of organizational learning takes place on the job, through solving problems and through special assignments and other day-to-day activities.

"Another 20 percent occurs through drawing on the knowledge of others in the workplace, from informal learning, from coaching and mentoring, and from support and direction from managers and colleagues. Only 10 percent occurs through formal learning, whether classroom, workshop or, more recently, e-learning.
And reminders of Jay Cross (@jaycross) ring in my head with this quote...
"But most organisations invest at least 80 per cent of their training budgets in formal learning, where little of the learning takes place. And formal learning is also generally less effective than informal learning."
I love the part about "the conspiracy of convenience". What a beautiful picture this article paints of the reality training professionals live in. You GOT to read this one.

    Post a Comment